Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the newcomer



Last week I moved some stuff away from the back fence (garage sale time!) and found a good sized female mantis trying to run away from me. I caught her and put her in the critter keeper. Later that evening we had a sudden rainstorm and a pretty green male flew right into me. Since we are running out of room at Chez Mantis, I decided to pop him in with the female and see what would happen. They circled each other a bit but seemed to settle in on the lid of the keeper in their own separate spots. I left to have dinner and when I got back I saw the green guy on the back of the newcomer....headless. Yep, she ate his head clean off and he was still grasping on to her. I don't think they mated but that's not quite the point. SHE ATE HIS HEAD OFF.


The newcomer now lives on Mint Plant Palace while Nigel is more than happy on the ficus and Walt is in the retirement home also known as the critter keeper.

THE NEWCOMER NEEDS A NAME! She is a she for sure and is very light brown. Post your suggestion in the comments and I'll pick one from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment